I am a mother of 3 beautiful OUSD students.
I am a community organizer who has made OUSD stronger.
Join me in visioning together to transform Oakland's schools!
24 Years of Public Education Policy & Advocacy
Many folks know me because of my long history of advocacy in public education - 24 years and counting!
In 1996, I started my education justice journey as a middle school student organizer. Over the years, I have watched many transformations within our public school system and have been instrumental in making our education system work better and more equitably, including historic changes to the way California funds public schools. I am currently the Co-Executive Director of Bay Area Parent Leadership Action Network (PLAN) and recently became a lead organizer of the Reparations for Black Students Campaign.
My goal has long been to step into a leadership role where I can impact systems more directly, and I am grateful to all who have encouraged me along the way. A big thank you to every student, parent and ally who has walked with me as we strive to improve the systems that are supposed to support our communities. It is our collective lived experience that drives my decision to run for School Board. I believe that together we can build a better Oakland school district that finally partners with students, parents and educators to find innovative and equitable solutions that work for all.
A Long Track Record of Impact & Accomplishments for Our Public Schools
Leading with Integrity & Vision
Black Students and Families Task Force Chair
- Supported design of Task Force, process for development of Black Students Thriving Plan
- Advocated for Task Force redesign after failure of Board to adhere to Reparations for Black Students policy
Oakland Fund Policy Oversight Committee Commissioner
- Contributed to identify stronger metrics in 2022-2025 Strategic Plan, namely better tracking of total kids served through 2022 grant cycle
- Advocated for stronger investment in Black students and across Oakland
- Advocated for alignment of OFCY funds with other city funding to increase impact with Oakland children and youth
Reparations for Black Students Campaign Leader
- Successful organized students, parents, educators and community to pass policy that sets a goal for OUSD to close opportunity gaps for Black students, families and educators by 2026
Keep Our Kids Safe Campaign Leader
- Supported statewide conversations around safe reopening of schools with unions, parents and educators that resulted in united advocacy for COVID-19 testing, PPE and improvements to distance learning for low-income public students
District Budget Advisory Committee Member
- Supported community and labor partnership with district budget staff to attempt zero based budgeting with a goal to achieve equitable funding maximized to school sites
- Monitored district's implementation of BP 3150 - Results Based Budgeting
Defend and Mend LCFF Campaign Leader
- Advocated for increased accountability of districts to increase and improve services for low income, English language learners and foster youth
- Partnered with CCEE to improve family engagement in Local Control Accountability Plan required by districts
Campaign to Desegregate Sausalito Marin City School District Leader
- Supported parents and community to launch attorney general investigation into an illegal district MOU with a local charter that segregated Black Marin City students from Sausalito students
- Facilitated 2017-2018 Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) development for district